Own It: The Vital Voice of Women in Driving Social Change
In November, Ambassador Verveer and Mayesha Alam, GIWPS Assistant Director, travelled to California to participate in a panel discussion entitled Own It: The Vital Voice of Women in Driving Social Change. The event was sponsored by the Georgetown University Alumni Association, the Georgetown Club of Northern California, The Georgetown Tech Alliance, and Georgetown Alumni Career Services.
- Kara Swisher (F'84), Co-Executive Editor, Re/code
- Melanne Verveer (I'66, G'69) (moderator), Executive Director, Institute for Women, Peace & Security, Georgetown University
- Rachel Schall Thomas (C'93), Founder & President, LeanIn.org
- Courtney O'Donnell (C'98), Head of Global External Affairs, Airbnb
- Mayesha Alam (G'12), Assistant Director, Institute for Women, Peace & Security, Georgetown University
During this exciting discussion, guests heard from alumnae who, true to their Georgetown roots, are driving social impact as leaders in their respective industries. These Georgetown alumnae discussed tackling complexities, transforming their industries and the world, and what has made them successful agents for change. Women in leadership positions are highly collaborative, strategic and resourceful, with focus and passion for mission- and values-based work. These unique skills are more critical than ever before, making women leaders uniquely poised to take on the issues of our time.
A description of the event can be found here.