The Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security is seeking a talented Communications Coordinator to join its Communications Team. The role will primarily support a new Afghanistan initiative launched in response to the current crisis and focused on elevating and supporting Afghan women leaders. The Communications Coordinator will develop compelling communications content across multiple platforms, including a new website, blog, social media, and email. They will also support media engagement and government relations. The Communications Coordinator should have a passion for international affairs, gender equality and human rights and be comfortable working on a fast-paced team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Enhance and maintain the Protect Afghan Women website
- Develop profiles of Afghan women leaders-in-exile for website
- Add upcoming events, policy recommendations, GIWPS research to site
- Develop new blog to amplify voices and perspectives of Afghan women
- Request pitches, edit posts, and promote blog
- Generate Afghanistan-related content for GIWPS social media accounts across Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Develop text, graphics, and video content
- Research reporters in local markets
- Draft press materials
- Coordinate press requests
- Draft Afghanistan-related email blasts for GIWPS listserv using Mailchimp
- Hone talking points
- Support efforts to promote legislation aligned with our initiative
- Support and amplify GIWPS-sponsored events on Afghanistan
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject area. Graduate degree preferred.
- 1-3 years work experience in communications, advocacy, or international affairs. Preference for regional expertise or experience with gender and human rights based work.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills
- Experience with social media
- Familiarity with MailChimp and WordPress a plus
- Experience with advocacy/volunteering a plus
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, prioritize tasks with tight deadlines, and multitask
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and commitment to GIWPS’ mission.
Applicants should be able to join the team in January 2022 and expect to work 40 hours/week for a 9-month contract, with possibility of extension. Please send a resume, cover letter, and one page writing sample in a single PDF file to Sarah Rutherford at email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Coordinator, Afghanistan.” Applications must be submitted by Friday, January 14, 2022 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.